Bretonnia is the second largest nation of men in the Old World, after the Empire. It is a feudal society protected by hosts of knights, considered by many to be the most powerful heavy cavalry in the Old World. Bretonnia also has an underclass of oppressed peasant serfs, who are recruited as archers and spearmen-at-arms who act as a more expendable meatshield for elite knights.
In the Grand Campaign, the realm of Bretonnia is divided into various factions under the "Bretonnian Kingdoms" category, such as Parravon or Gisoreaux. These minor factions all use the Bretonnian units. The actual "Bretonnia" faction is headed by King Louen Leoncoeur and begins in the province of Couronne. Bretonnian factions have a positive starting attitude towards each other.
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||We have prayed to the Lady, she has given us her Blessing. Ready your lances and charge!||„|
Bretonnia is the second largest nation of men after the Empire. It is located to the west of Sigmar’s lands, separated from them by the southern and northern Grey Mountains. The nations trade via several critical mountain passes and on the whole relations remain cordial, although they have gone to war many times in their turbulent history. Bretonnia is a feudal society, split between the savagely poor majority and the rich nobles with their gallant Knights standing above the filthy rabble. In theory, the Knights of Bretonnia - the flower of its military - have a code of chivalry that forms an unbreakable duty to protect its citizens. In practice, Knights are often selfish, greedy, political creatures, more interested in procuring the shiniest armour and attending tournaments than safeguarding the basic needs of the smallfolk.
However, when the Knights of Bretonnia do go to war they are undeniably proficient. They are considered the most powerful heavy cavalry in the Old World by many, although no doubt the Knightly Orders of the Empire would contest this. Armies of Bretonnia contain Knights of various stages and statuses. The Knights of the Realm are the most numerous, but there are the more exotic Pegasus Knights, as well as many others who have received visions from the Lady, the Goddess of Bretonnia, to seek her out. Finally, there are the Grail Knights, those who have found the Lady and supped from her mythical Grail to become something more than mortal. For them, earthly desires such as wealth and political aspirations no longer matter. All they care about is the chivalric code, in the truest sense of the word.
However, a Bretonnian army rarely consists of Knights alone - squires and men-at-arms form ranks of solid, if unremarkable, foot troops and peasant levies are provided to soak up damage from unchivalrous cannons and other ranged devices. Although the Knights are only too happy for their own side to field large trebuchets, they would never dirty their own hands in such cowardly ways. And so it is the Knights of Bretonnia march forth with lances dipped, and a prayer to the Lady on their lips!
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
In the Grand Campaign[edit | edit source]
See also: Bretonnia buildings.
- Bretonnia has unique commandments and unique buildings.
- Bretonnian AI factions in the grand campaign game tend to recruit masses of Knights.
- Bretonnia has a highly defensible position. To the east they are sheltered by the Grey Mountains, which can only be crossed through two narrow passes. Kislev and The Empire provinces/factions tend to bear the brunt of Warriors of Chaos invasions originating from the Chaos Wastes in the far northeast. They are also on the other side of the map from most Greenskins factions. To the south is only the Kingdom of Estalia and Khazrak the One-Eye's Beastmen Horde. However, within Bretonnia in the province of Lyonesse lies the Mousillon faction of Vampire Counts which can cause problems if left unchecked.
Bretonnian Kingdoms[edit | edit source]
- In the Grand Campaign, the realm of Bretonnia is divided into various feudal dukedoms under the "Bretonnian Kingdoms" category, such as Parravon or Gisoreaux. These minor factions all use the Bretonnian units. The actual "Bretonnia" faction is headed by King Louen Leoncoeur and begins in the province of Couronne. Bretonnian factions have a positive starting attitude towards each other.
In Battles[edit | edit source]
See also: Bretonnia unit roster
- The Bretonnian unit roster is focused mostly on heavy cavalry, and this where their killing power comes from. However it would be a mistake to ignore Peasant Bowmen or Spearmen-at-Arms who provide an important shield for valuable units of Knights of the Realm and Grail Knights. Louen Leonceur has the vaulable regeneration mechanic.