Warriors of Chaos
Warriors of Chaos
Chaos is one of the most mysterious forces in the Old World. In Total War, the Chaos God Tzeentch seems to be responsible for much of the pain and misery that permeates the world.
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||Fear me, mortals, for I am the Anointed, the Favoured Son of Chaos, the Scourge of the World.||„|
To explain Chaos is to define the undefinable; it permeates the world - the ultimate foe against which the forces of Order must battle to survive. Chaos - and all magic, for that is of Chaos - seeps into the world from the two poles, one of which lies at the Realm of Chaos in the far north. This is the legacy of the Old Ones, an ancient star-faring race who, in their arrogance, used the immaterial dimension to travel and manipulate the tangible. Unknown to them, the empyrean was home to the sub-conscious desires, aspirations and emotions of all sentient races. Over time, this force coalesced into the Chaos Gods – the Ruinous Powers. It is these omnipotent beings that control the fates of all, viewing the world as a game board, the mortal denizens on it as nothing more than playing pieces to be pushed aside and destroyed at will. The Chaos Gods have many names and aspects. For most in the Old World who are aware of such things they are Khorne - the Blood God, lord of murder, rage, violence and battles; Tzeentch - the Arch-Manipulator, master of magic and weaver of time; Nurgle - the Lord of Decay, father of plagues, poxes and contagions; Slaanesh – the Dark Prince of Chaos, the great summoner of excess, desire and perversion.
To the north of the Old World lies Norsca and beyond that the Chaos Wastes, which lie in the shadow of the Chaos realm - its people the Gods’ primary pawns. The Northmen congregate in tribes. They are savage and brutal, for the lands are harsh, full of ice-covered fjords and roving monsters. No crops grow here so they must raid south to survive. They do this not just out of necessity but for glory and the chance to be recognised by the Chaos Gods. Those that do well will be gifted with all manner of mutations, and for the very few, even Daemonhood. However, those that disappoint the Ruinous Powers will be turned to Chaos Spawn - mewling mountains of flesh, teeth and tentacles.
And so Chaos armies march south, consisting of Chaos Marauders, the aforementioned fur-clad barbarians, and Chaos Warriors - particularly ruthless fighters chosen by the Ruinous Powers and gifted with arcane suits of all-encompassing armour. A Chaos force is also accompanied by a mass of mind-fraying creatures – from Hellcannons to Dragon Ogres and abhorrent Spawn. These hordes can be raiders that cross the icy seas in longships, large armies that raze entire cities, or full-scale invasions where entire nations quake in fear, convinced the End Times are upon them… And quite possibly they are, for now is the time of the Three-Eyed King. Archaon the Everchosen gathers his countless servants, who are ready at their Lord’s whispered command to bring doom down upon all!
Features[edit | edit source]
- The forces of Chaos seek nothing but to slaughter and destroy all other races in service to their Dark Gods. They inhabit the Chaos Wastes to the far north, but their influence can be felt across the world.
- The influence of Chaos in a province is measured as corruption. An uprising will occur if corruption is allowed to grow unchecked.
- Non-Chaos Armies will take heavy attritional casualties should they try to move through the Chaos Wastes.
- Chaos factions cannot inhabit settlements, instead roaming the map as hordes.
- Legendary Lords may gain powerful items from quests which may not be lost or traded to other characters.
- Strong unit roster with armoured infantry and monsters. Severely limited missile options.
- Strong diplomatic penalties with almost all factions. Cannot trade. Economy is heavily reliant on sacking, raiding and battle loot.
Campaign[edit | edit source]
- The Warriors of Chaos under Archaeon the Everchosen are the ultimate challenge in the Grand Campaign. They spawn after turn 101 and immediately attack the nearest provinces, with the goal of destroying every extant faction that isn't Norsca or Chaos.