- To play as Broken Axe and Grom, you must own The Warden and the Paunch paid DLC.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Broken Axe is a playable sub-faction of the Greenskins introduced in Total War: Warhammer II. It is led by Grom the Paunch and can be found in a couple of different locations, depending on campaign. See below for more details.
These unruly warriors dwell in the Badlands, mountains and other wild areas and love nothing more than a good fight. From time to time, they will come together in a great “Waaagh!” - an invasion of civilised lands. Armies of Greenskins feature masses of poorly-disciplined infantry, alongside boar-riding cavalry and monsters like trolls and giant spiders.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Broken Axe tribe is a clan of Goblins that live at the eastern side of the Worlds Edge Mountains occupying one of the countless tumble-down fortresses that line the craggy and tunnel strewn passes.
Some time around 2400 IC a Goblin named Grom engaged in a now infamous eating contest, ingesting a plate of raw Troll steaks. After weeks of fevered indigestion and almost terminal flatulence, Grom's stomach managed to digest the Troll flesh as fast as it regrew, making him grow quickly in size and power.
Within ten years he had conquered the other tribes along the Mad Dog Pass and subjugated the Night Goblin tribes that lived around and under Thunder Mountain. For some years, the Broken Axe tribe wandered west and north, conquering the Orc and Goblin tribes of the southern Worlds Edge Mountains and the Badlands.
Some time around 2410 IC Grom led his horde over the Black Fire Pass, defeated the Dwarfs at the Battle of the Iron Gate, invaded the Empire and eventually built a ramshackle fleet. This led the Waaagh! to the shores of Ulthuan and its eventual defeat before the walls of Tor Yvresse.
Grom's name lives on through the tribe's war songs, as do his tactics, making full use of war machines, cavalry and massed Goblin infantry. They still deserve the fearsome reputation that Grom carved out for them.
How they play[edit | edit source]
In battle[edit | edit source]
Broken Axe uses the Greenskin roster. This includes content available via free DLC and paid DLC such as The Warden and the Paunch, and The King and the Warlord.
Making Grom's Cauldron dishes on the campaign map can give Grom the Paunch special abilities in battle, such as Regeneration on all gobboz, breath attacks on Grom or explosive attacks on ranged units.
In campaign[edit | edit source]
Broken Axe generally plays the same as other Greenskins factions, however the major differences are listed below. For general Greenskins information see Greenskins.
Starting territory[edit | edit source]
The starting territory for Broken Axe changes depending on the campaign, and which faction the player is playing as.
Eye of the Vortex
- When playing as Yvresse: Karag Orrud
- When playing as Broken Axe: Karag Orrud
- When playing as another faction: Southern Yvresse (Ellisaeli and Cairn Thiel)
- When playing as Yvresse: Misty mountain and near Karak Azul
- When playing as Broken Axe: Massif Orcal
- When playing as another faction: Yvresse (province) (Ellisaeli and Shrine of Loec)
Faction effects[edit | edit source]
- Has access to Grom's Cauldron
- Suitable Climate: Temperate Island
- -80 Diplomatic relations with High Elves
- Waaagh! has a chance to contain Snotling Pump Wagons
- Global recruitment duration -1 for Goblin units
Grom's Cauldron[edit | edit source]
Grom's Cauldron is a campaign mechanic unique to Broken Axe. Please expand with details.
Victory objectives[edit | edit source]
Eye of the Vortex[edit | edit source]
Mortal Empires[edit | edit source]
Diplomacy[edit | edit source]
Diplomatic traits[edit | edit source]
Starting agreements[edit | edit source]
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Broken Axe was added in The Warden and the Paunch DLC.
- The trailer for the Warden and the Paunch features Grom and his horde rolling through the desert on top of chariots and pump wagons. This is likely a reference to the Mad Max movies.