- For the variation of this unit used by the Warriors of Chaos, see Chaos Spawn.
Chaos Spawn (Beastmen) is a Beastmen monstrous infantry unit in the Beastmen Total War: Warhammer downloadable content. An eldritch horror, the mad thrashing of its unnatural limbs sends all to their doom.
Some amongst the Children of Chaos are bestowed with an abundance of the Dark Ones' gifts, becoming creatures whose bodily forms epitomise nightmare and unreason. Such creatures might once have been great Chieftains who called upon the favour of the Dark Gods one time too many. They might have been Bray-Shamans who drew too deep of the power of Chaos, their forms blasted beyond recognition by the raw power of Magic. It may even have been one who strayed too close to Morghur, Master of Skulls, whose aura of transmogrification changes all. In some cases, the creature might simply have been born that way, in all likelihood slaughtering its beast-mother in the process. When the warherd goes to battle, the Chaos spawn come shambling from their lairs. The Beastmen have no control over a Spawn's actions, and it will behave in a largely unpredictable manner. The Spawn will move towards the enemy and crash flailing into its ranks; teeth, claws, and tentacles tearing men limb from limb in a shower of blood and ruination before it is finally put out of its misery.
- ↑ Anti-Infantry: Anti-infantry units have an advantage against targets that are smaller than a horse. This advantage can be a damage bonus against small targets, superior weight used to smash through lighter enemies, or an explosive attack from range that effects a large area.
- ↑ No Forest Penalty: Large units do not suffer penalties when moving through forest, simply smashing through the undergrowth instead.
- ↑ Poison Attacks: The poisonous attacks of this unit weaken the target's speed, damage, and vigour. Applies the Poison! debuff.
- ↑ Unbreakable: This unit does not suffer any form of leadership loss and will never rout.
Beastmen Chaos Spawn are different from Chaos Chaos Spawn, theses ones apply poison at the cost of less overall damage. Poison is a great ability and makes these spawn generally better combatants than their counterparts. These units are also more useful on the Beastmen roster for being unbreakable. Beastmen armies frequently break and return to the battlefield, but having some units that are guaranteed to fight to the end is very helpful. Use these creatures as shock troopers behind your front line or to engage high value enemies like other monsters or characters.