Grail Knights is a Bretonnia cavalry unit. The Grail Knights charge the enemy line with a furious stampede of hooves and the Lady in their thoughts.
Only when a Questing Knight has proved his valour and purity beyond all doubt does the Lady of the Lake appear to him in a vision, rewarding him not only with the sight of the Grail, but also permitting him to drink from it. Few indeed are allowed to sup from this, the holiest of Bretonnian artefacts, and only those Knights of unblemished purity survive a taste of the blessed waters from the chalice. Those who drink from the mystical chalice are changed forever, granted lifespans many times that of normal men, as well as other, stranger gifts. From that moment on they are irrevocably committed to the service of the Lady and the Grail, a bond that can only be broken by death. To the commoners of Bretonnia, Grail Knights form a pantheon of living deities, their names spoken as a reverent mantra throughout the land, and are often worshipped in their own right. They are tireless, and know neither fear, hardship nor despair, their words and deeds immortalised forever. Some five centuries since his death, many still recount how the eyes of Riquiard of Brascard glowed with a terrible light as he slew the enemies of the Lady, while others speak of a golden aura that protects all Grail Knights from harm. Amongst the most famous of all, Laudyricus of Couronne, was believed to have been possessed of a heart so pure and noble that he was anathema to all unclean creatures and could slay them with his merest touch.
- ↑ Armoured & Shielded: Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage. Shields have a chance of blocking arrows, bolts, rifle shots and similar small arms fire - but only in a forward facing arc.
- ↑ Living Saints: Knights who have sipped from the Grail are elevated above mere mortals; they truly are what is best in men.
- ↑ Anti-Large: Anti-large units have an advantage against targets that are at least as large as a horse. This advantage can be a damage bonus against large targets or an attack that focuses on a very small area. However, some units are simply better against large targets because their attacks are slow and easy to dodge by skilled melee combatants.
Click here to add a strategy!
- Grail Knights are the premier heavy cavalry unit in the game. Perfect Vigour combined with high charge bonus and Leadership means these knights devastate most enemies on the charge.
- Grail Knights are an expensive unit to train and upkeep and if they are swarmed by an enemy they will be defeated. Therefore, you should pair Grail Knights with Knights of the Realm or Knights Errant. Should you employ two lesser units in support of your Grail Knights they will be able to hold together when charging large divisions of enemy troops. You may also wish to have two of these units in most of your armies to utilize shock tactics.
- Shock tactics: With all cavalry you should consider the effect of charging. Charging bonuses make your knights exponentially more powerful at the start of their combat. Once the initial charge is complete, your units can be swarmed and overcome. The way you stop this is by having two shock units to use in tandem. One unit charges and one is held in reserve. The second unit charges and the first is brought back after the second unit has relieved the pressure with their own charge. You can repeat this tactic as necessary.