Karak Kadrin is a Dwarfs faction.
In Total War: Warhammer they are a minor non-playable faction.
How they play[edit | edit source]
A summary of Karak Kadrin gameplay:
- Units: Heavy infantry, artillery and war machines. No cavalry, no magic, and no monstrous units. Bonuses for low-armoured anti-large Slayers.
- Regiments of Renown: These are unique, more-powerful versions of regular Dwarfs units.
- The Great Book of Grudges: In the campaign, Dwarf players are issued grudge missions to take revenge for enemy attacks. Completing grudges is essential.
- Underway: Dwarf armies can enter Use Underway stance, allowing them to bypass danger by travelling underground. This mechanic is shared with Greenskins and Skaven.
- Runes: Dwarfs have special inventory items called runes, which can be attached to units like banners.
- The Forge: A crafting system where Dwarfs use resources, as well as Oathgold, to craft magical items (added in the Resurgent Update for Total War: Warhammer II)
- Slayer King: Karak Kadrin begin with a landmark building allowing recruitment of Slayers from turn one, and have various faction-wide buffs for Slayers and infantry.
Development history[edit | edit source]
In Total War: Warhammer, Ungrim Ironfist was a legendary lord option for the main Dwarfs faction. Karak Kadrin was just a minor Dwarf Realms faction. Then on 31st May 2018 the Resurgent Update for Total War: Warhammer II made Karak Kadrin a fully playable subfaction in the second game.
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||I fear there is no foe worthy of my death!||„|
|~ Ungrim Ironfist|
Karak Kadrin, the Slayer Keep, is a mighty Dwarfhold located at the western side of Peak Pass. It's location among the lofty, snow-capped peaks of the Northern World's Edge Mountains makes it the northernmost of the Dwarfholds, except for the constantly-besieged Kraka Drak. It's great fortifications and watchful underway guard mean it has never been breached by any invader. And there are many who try to invade the Old World through Peak Pass, however the Dwarfs of Karak Kadrin and their outposts in the pass keep it mostly safe for caravans.
Karak Kadrin is most notable as having the largest and most important shrine of Grimnir, the Dwarf Ancestor-God of battle, fearlessness, honour and matyrdom. Thus it is here that many Slayers gather in-between their heroic doomed ventures. Additionally, long ago King Baragor of Karak Kadrin took the slayer oath to die in battle, but was unable to achieve this, and thus passed on the obligation to his descendents. Ungrim Ironfist is thus the latest in the line of Slayer Kings, conflicted rulers torn between personal honour and royal duty.
In battle[edit | edit source]
Karak Kadrin's unit roster is identical to the Dwarfs unit roster.
In campaign[edit | edit source]
Karak Kadrin are playable in the Mortal Empires campaign, but present as a minor faction
Unique mechanics for them are listed below.
Legendary Lord Choices[edit | edit source]
See lord page for details on special abilities, starting units and effects.
- Ungrim Ironfist - a powerful melee fighter who specializes in taking down large monsters.
Faction effects[edit | edit source]
- Suitable climate: Frozen
- Construction Cost: -75% for Slayer buildings
- Recruitment Cost: -50% for Slayer units
- Speed: +10% for infantry units
Start Position[edit | edit source]
- Karak Kadrin settlement in Peak Pass province
Slayer Shrine of Karak Kadrin[edit | edit source]
Karak Kadrin start with a special landmark building already constructed in their faction's capital:
- Slayer Shrine of Karak Kadrin - Tier II, unlocks recruitment of Slayers (comes pre-constructed)
- Grimnir's Monument of Karak Kadrin - Tier IV, unlocks recruitment of Giantslayers
- Great Slayer Shrine of Karak Kadrin - Tier V
Climate preferences[edit | edit source]
Karak Kadrin have slightly different climate preferences than other Dwarf factions:
- Favorable: Wasteland, Frozen, Mountain
- Unpleasant: Temperate, Chaotic Wasteland, Savannah, Desert
- Uninhabitable: Ocean, Magical Forest, Jungle, Island
Victory Conditions[edit | edit source]
Victory Conditions for Karak Kadrin in the campaign:
- Ensure that the total severity of Grudges in The Great Book of Grudges is no more than 9.
- Ensure that the following building has been constructed:
- The Great Slayer Shrine of Karak Kardrin.
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Maintain control of 5 province(s) including the following, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
- Maintain a total of 7 units of the following type:
- Maintain 60 units in total.
The same as the short campaign, but with the following additions.
- Ensure there are no active grudges remaining in The Great Book of Grudges.
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Maintain control of 10 province(s) including the following, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
- Maintain 100 units in total.
Strategy[edit | edit source]