To play together, both players must be playing the same game (TWW1 or TWW2) with the same patch/update version. Each player requires their own separate copy of the game, and a Steam account. Each player must also use the same operating system.
Compatibility between games[edit | edit source]
In Total War: Warhammer, players can use any faction that they own from the first game or first game DLC.
In Total War: Warhammer II, players can use any faction that they own from the first or second game, or first/second game DLC.
In all games, players can play against all other factions even if they don't own them.
Types of multiplayer[edit | edit source]
Campaign[edit | edit source]
Players can play campaign mode together. In this mode, players can set enemy AI armies to be controlled by their friend, or they can assign some of their own units to be controlled by their friend.
- Co-op campaign: A campaign played by two people together in a permanent military alliance.
- Head-to-head: A campaign played by two people against each other. However, they can still engage in diplomacy, trade and make alliances, if their two factions would normally be able to do so.
Battles[edit | edit source]
Players can also just play battles online.
- Custom online battle: Players can make a custom battles lobby online. They can invite friends, set a password, make the lobby invisible, or allow anyone to join the lobby. Up to four players can play. The full range of custom battle options is available.
- Online matchmaking: Players can choose to be randomly matched with someone of roughly equal skill. There is a limited pool of maps available for matchmaking (see below for a list). Matchmaking battles will never be siege battles, intercept battles or ambush battles, as this would give one side an unfair advantage.
- Pitched battle: 1v1
- Team battle: 2v2
- Free-for-all (FFA): 4 players all fight against each other. There can only be 1 winner. This mode was added in Total War: Warhammer II.
- Winning in FFA is based on points. Whoever scores the most points by doing the most damage to the enemy, wins.
Online matchmaking map list[edit | edit source]
Total War: Warhammer[edit | edit source]
Total War: Warhammer II[edit | edit source]
- 1v1 and 2v2
- Free For All