- Not to be confused with a "Local Region" which is a sub-area of a province.
A region is a group of provinces on the campaign map that is somehow distinct from other areas. Regions are technically not part of the game mechanics of Total War (campaign maps are divided into provinces and local regions). Regions are distinct continents, landmasses or other areas which appear in Warhammer Fantasy lore, and are referenced many times in the games.
Not every region from the lore should be included here. Only those which are directly relevant to Total War campaigns and referenced many times in the games.
Regions[edit | edit source]
- The Old World - a temperate area, dominated by human factions such as The Empire and Bretonnia.
- Athel Loren - a magical forest in the Old World. It appears in the Old World campaign and Mortal Empires. It is the main focus of The Season of Revelation mini-campaign.
- The Drakwald - a dark, Beastmen-infested forest which features heavily in the An Eye For An Eye mini-campaign.
- World's Edge Mountains - a huge mountain range which forms the eastern border of the Old World and The Southlands. Mostly inhabited by Dwarfs, Greenskins and Skaven.
- Norsca (region) - a cold mountainous peninsula, home to Norscan factions.
- The Badlands - a wasteland area south of the Old World but north of The Southlands, home to many Greenskins.
- The New World
- Ulthuan - the idyllic island-continent of the High Elves.
- Naggaroth - the frozen, cold north-western continent, home to the Dark Elves.
- The Southlands - a southern continent with a warm climate of desert and jungle.
- Lustria - a south-western continent with a humid tropical climate, dominated by Lizardmen.