- Not to be confused with Mannfred von Carstein, a legendary lord for the Vampire Counts faction.
Von Carstein are a playable sub-faction of Vampire Counts introduced in Total War: Warhammer, separate from the main Vampire Counts faction. They are playable in campaign, multiplayer and custom battles. They were introduced in a free content update in February 2017, alongside the free faction Bretonnia.
The Von Carstein faction plays much the same as the regular Vampire Counts, with the exception of different legendary lords, starting position and victory conditions. Please see the main Vampire Counts article for more detailed information on general Vampire Counts gameplay.
How they play[edit | edit source]
A summary of Von Carstein gameplay:
- Beloved in Death: Vlad and Isabella get bonuses when reinforcing one another, representing their bond.
- Mausoleum of the Mad Count: A special landmark building which allows early recruitment of Vampire heroes.
- Units: Large, varied roster featuring hordes of expendable undead infantry backed up by ethereal units and bat-like monsters. All lords are spellcasters.
- Regiments of Renown: These are unique, more-powerful versions of regular Vampire Counts units.
- Binding and Crumbling: In battle, units never rout. Rather, they will crumble into dust if losing badly.
- Raise Dead: In campaign, units can be instantly recruited anywhere by raising the dead. Large battle sites provide more and better units to raise.
- Vampiric Corruption: In campaign, vampires spread their influence, harming other factions. However, they take attrition in areas with low vampiric corruption.
Background[edit | edit source]
|“||Life is a cancer, but I have the cure - death everlasting…”||„|
Long ago, Queen Neferata stole the secrets of eternal life from Nagash. The elixir she created was flawed, bestowing immortality but at great cost. And so the Vampires were created and they have been a plague upon the living ever since.
Millennia later and the darkling figure of Vlad von Carstein arrived in Sylvania - a backwater region within the Stirland province of the Empire. Soon the whole of Sylvania's destitute nobility was in his thrall; the von Carstein bloodline was born. For years, the Vampire Counts of Sylvania kept their Undying existence a deathly secret. The region’s pathetic peasants and the neighbouring lords had their suspicions but nothing was proven until Vlad revealed himself in full lifeless glory at the head of an Undead host. His desire was nothing more than the throne of the Empire.
Vlad was slain at the Siege of Altdorf, the Undead army withered and his Vampire sires fled back to Sylvania, which was known to be a cursed land, tainted by perpetual death for evermore. Whilst Vlad’s bid for a vast Undead Empire failed, he did start a pattern that would repeat itself several times over the coming centuries. A von Carstein would take the reins of power within Sylvania and inevitably strike out against the living at the head of an Unliving army – power-hungry Necromancers, Zombie hordes, ranks of Skeletons, tomb-skulking Crypt Ghouls and bestial Varghulfs are just some of the nightmares a Vampire Lord can summon to his indomitable will.
Vlad may have been the first of the von Carstein line, but Mannfred was equally feared - he also came close to despoiling the Empire, being finally brought to bay at Hel Fenn and slain. But what is no longer living is never easy to kill; both Vlad and Mannfred have risen again. The dead have never rested easily in Sylvania and now they lurch from their graves, summoned to Unlife by the Midnight Aristocracy as each prepares to challenge mankind once more. Both believe they are the rightful, Eternal Emperor; the usurper, Karl Franz, will learn this at great cost - and all the living will pay tribute to the von Carsteins’ Unholy Majesty!
In battle[edit | edit source]
In campaign[edit | edit source]
Legendary Lord choices[edit | edit source]
- Vlad von Carstein
- Isabella von Carstein - Isabella was released as free content, but must be manually downloaded from Steam in order to play.
Mausoleum of the Mad Count[edit | edit source]
The Mausoleum of the Mad Count is a special landmark building available to the Von Carstein faction, which can be built in Castle Drakenhof. It allows recruitment of Vampire heroes much earlier than would otherwise be possible.
Start Position[edit | edit source]
Victory Conditions[edit | edit source]
These are actually quite different from the Vampire Counts main faction. The player no longer needs to defeat the forces of Chaos, nor defeat the Dwarfs for the long campaign objective. Instead the aim is to unite with the main Vampire Counts faction, and in the long campaign to unite with Mousillon and defeat the Bretonnia sub-factions Bordeleaux and Carcassonne
- Short Campaign
- Maintain control of 15 provinces, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies.
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Control the following 1 settlement, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
- Long Campaign
- Maintain control of 20 provinces, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies.
- Destroy the following faction(s):
- Control the following 2 settlements, either by direct ownership or through vassals and military allies:
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
- Isabella von Carstein has a bug in multiplayer where she receives Throgg's Wintertooth Crown payload mission rather than the Blood Chalice of Bathori payload mission. This is due to a developer error where Isabella's Blood Chalice of Bathori questline is mistakenly scripted to proceed with Throgg's Wintertooth Crown quest instead of her own. As this mission can only be completed by Throgg, Isabella is unable to complete the mission to obtain the Blood Chalice and receives no rewards.
- A mod that fixes this error can be found here.