- For the mount, please see War Mammoth (mount).
Description[edit | edit source]
Roaming across the frozen north are the woolly colossuses of the Old World – the gargantuan Feral Mammoths. With their elephantine trunks and great curved tusks, they are not unlike living mountains, feeding off the thorny barrens and causing the ground to quake as they follow their endless migration paths. The Northmen frequently seek them out as abandoned calves, for if a mammoth is trained early enough, it can be brought into battle as a highly effective trampling weapon that can easily reduce enemies to bloody ground-smears. Exposure to Chaos-tainted materials has resulted in some of the species mutating into larger and more aggressive versions of the regular feral variety, sometimes sprouting extra horns that make them desirable to be ridden into battle as War Mammoths.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- No Ability
Attributes[edit | edit source]
- This unit frightens all enemy units, reducing their leadership when nearby. It is also immune to fear. Fear penalties do not stack.
- This unit can cause terror, making its melee target rout for a short time. Units that cause terror are immune to terror and fear themselves.
Strengths & Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Armoured units can block damage from any source apart from Armour-Piercing damage.
- This unit can fear themselves.
- The damage of armour-piercing weapons mostly ignores the armour of the target, making them the ideal choice against heavily-armoured enemies. They are often heavier and attack at a slower rate though, making them less efficient against poorly-armoured targets.
- Anti-infantry units have an advantage against targets that are smaller than a horse. This advantage can be a damage bonus against small targets, superior weight used to smash through lighter enemies, or an explosive attack from range that effects a large area.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although expensive, War mammoths are by some long standing players considerd to be the most effective melee unit in the whole game. A so called 'Doomstack' of a lord, a wizard and 18 war mammoths can take on armies of 1.5 times it size on any difficulty with a decent player controlling it. The strength of war mammoths comes forth from the fact of their extremely high hit points, and their effective attack animations, and their ability to cause instant routs due to terror and fear. It is considerd to be the best unit in the norscan army roster.