- See Warhammer (disambiguation) for other uses.
Warhammer Fantasy is a high fantasy universe created in the 1980's by Games Workshop as the setting for a pen and paper RPG, and later a tabletop miniature war game. It is the setting of Total War: Warhammer and its sequels TWW2 and TWW3.
Influences and similar settings[edit | edit source]
The setting has numerous influences such as:
- Historical events
- J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth
- Michael Moorcock's Elric stories
- The works of H.P. Lovecraft
- The Swords of Lankhmar - a novel by Fritz Leiber
- Runequest - a pen and paper RPG set in the world of Glorantha
In turn, Warhammer has influenced other fantasy settings such as Bioware's Dragon Age and Blizzard's Warcraft.
Warhammer Fantasy eventually influenced the creation of Warhammer 40,000, a separate science fiction/science fantasy universe by Games Workshop.
The setting should not be confused with Age of Sigmar which has some similarities but is for all intents and purposes a different setting.