- See Warhammer (disambiguation) for other uses.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Warhammer Fantasy is a high fantasy universe created in the 1980's by Games Workshop as the setting for a pen and paper RPG, and later a tabletop miniature war game. It is the setting of the Total War: Warhammer trilogy.
Influences and similar settings[edit | edit source]
The setting has numerous influences such as:
- Historical events
- J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth
- Michael Moorcock's Elric stories
- The works of H.P. Lovecraft
- The Swords of Lankhmar - a novel by Fritz Leiber
- Runequest - a pen and paper RPG set in the world of Glorantha
In turn, Warhammer has influenced other fantasy settings such as Electronic Arts/Bioware's Dragon Age and Activision/Blizzard's Warcraft.
Warhammer Fantasy eventually influenced the creation of Warhammer 40,000, a separate science fiction/science fantasy universe by Games Workshop.
The setting should not be confused with Age of Sigmar which has some similarities but is for all intents and purposes a different setting.